Thursday, May 22, 2008

Giro d'Italia

The Giro d'Italia passed through Maranello, of course, right in front of the Ferrari headquarters.  Though not as popular as the Tour de France, it is one of the most important stage races in the world.  

The road was closed at 3 p.m. yet the cyclists didn't ride through until an hour and a half later.  I walked down around 3:10 p.m. and waited until half an hour, yet no cyclists.  Since it began to rain and no cyclists, I went to the grocery store and bought dinner.  It was raining harder and so I decided to go back to the apartment and start cooking.  

I was checking periodically outside for sight of the cyclists and around 4:30 p.m.  I saw one lone cyclist ahead of the peloton.  Then a couple minutes later, the peloton arrived and it was amazing!  So many of the cyclists going ultra-fast, probably over 30 mph as its pretty flat here.  And in a flash of less than a minute, it was over.  

Though it was hard to see who's who in the pack of cyclists, I did read later that some familiars riders, Alberto Contador, Levi Leipheimer and Andreas Kloden, were in the race.  





No comments: