Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Portland, Oregon

After a late start, we are finally in Portland.  Nursing post-Cinco de Mayo hangovers and packing up the cars, we didn't hit the road until before lunch.  Fortunately, all the boxes and two suitcases fit snugly in the cars.  We did have to empty the box full of hangers and shimmied them in between the nooks and crannies.  

The drive south to Portland was frustrating and stressful.  It was pouring down rain the whole way there and was so thick that it was really difficult to see more than a couple feet ahead.  Chuck's bike on the roof rack was my lifesaver as it was pretty much the only thing I could see and follow.  As we headed into Portland, the rain let up with clear blue skies.  I am looking forward to much needed warmth and sun!  The Seattle weather will not be missed...well, except for August and September which I plan on returning for vacation!!




I was very excited to find my new road bike!  We went to River City Bicycles and I test drove a Specialized Women's Specific Design as well as a Cannondale one.  I instantly fell in love with the Specialized as it was lightweight and rode really smoothly.  It was a bit pricey, but will get good use from it and we didn't pay any sales tax!  Thanks honey for my new bike!!

For the second time, we are staying overnight at The Kennedy School.  It's such a cool place to stay as it's a brewery with a hot pool and movie theater!  As I'm writing this blog, I'm enjoying a nice brew in the Cypress Room and later this evening will be re-watching The Wrestler (as I fell asleep the first time I watched it last weekend).  

Chuck's IPA was really good, but wasn't so impressed with my lemonade.

My new bike in our room.

The Cherry Tree Room, named aptly so for the Cherry Blossom tree in front of our window.

In general, our first day on the road was relaxing (minus the rain) and short (only three hours of driving).  Tomorrow will be the long haul as we plan to drive more than ten hours into California.  It will be my longest stretch of driving in my life...I will definitely need to find an Apple store for a car adapter for my iPhone to listen to much needed music!!  Wish me luck:)

1 comment:

Scrapping in Circles said...

We used to make the drive to Yuma, AZ in two days. The first was 10 hours after work and the second 14 hours. I have no sympathy.(;

BTW, there's not much you'll pass during that ten hours except lots of fields. You'll most certainly need an i-pod.