Thursday, August 5, 2010

6 Week MD Visit

We found a really nice pediatric clinic in Seattle. Unlike our San Diego clinic it doesn't have a sick and well area, but I like the clinic a lot. For one thing, it is less than a 5 minute drive from our house. I also like our doctor as she is really nice and down-to-earth. I was referred to another doctor and the clinic as a whole from a friend of a friend of a friend. I'll definitely stay with this clinic and with the doctor that I ended up seeing today.

Cooper is doing great! He grew an inch and a half since his last doctor's visit, standing tall at 23.5" which puts him in the 75-90th percentile. Cooper weighs in at a hefty 12 lbs, 2.5 ounces putting him in the 75th percentile.

The doctor was really impressed at his strength. While checking his back, Cooper extended his back and neck nicely. He also held it in that position for awhile. She then had him stand up supported on his legs and he was able to hold himself up on his legs as well as with good head control. I guess all that fussing during tummy time paid off! In my opinion, he was pretty strong early on as a newborn as well.

Poor baby! He had to have his vaccinations and cried with all 3 shots. It was short-lived and with a reassuring hug and kiss from mommy, he was comforted. He downed that "drink", whatever it was, sucking every last drop.

Since we don't have the continuous sun exposure as San Diego, the doctor recommended vitamin D supplements as Cooper is primarily breastfed. So other than that, we'll be doing what we've been doing as he's growing well.

One thing I need to start doing is a sleeping schedule at night. I need to get him used to falling asleep in his bassinet versus in my arms. Today, I was able to put him down in his bouncer and he didn't fuss for 1/2 hour....enough time for me to shower, get dressed and eat. He's not big on self-soothing, so it's hard to put him down while he's drowsy and half asleep. But it'll be a good goal to reach.

1 comment:

Scrapping in Circles said...

I originally thought the seperate waiting rooms for sick and well was a great idea. Our ped in AZ had that. Then, several friends told me they always took their kids into the well waiting room no matter what since they didn't want them to be infected with something worse when they were already sick. After that, I figured it doesn't really matter. (=

I'm glad it is going well with your new doctor. That is so important.