Monday, July 6, 2009

Our New Apartment

Chuck and I moved into our new apartment complex Las Casitas de los Amigos in Hillcrest. Since we are still organizing and unpacking, I'm holding off pictures of the inside until it's ready. Our apartment is in a great location as Hillcrest is centrally located within San Diego and is close to many restaurants, shops and cafes. We are also two blocks from Balboa Park and within walking distance to the San Diego Zoo.

View from the entrance to the apartment complex.
There are eight cottages and we are the second one on the right. We only share a wall with the first cottage. At the back of the complex is a building with four apartments.


Approaching our cottage.
The complex, being old as it is, is well-maintained. Every Monday, as it wakes me up in the morning, the landscapers are mowing, edging and pruning. And at 4 a.m. the sprinkler system wakes Chuck up bright and early...though he has no problems going back to sleep!

I've added a few more greenery to the entrance by proudly displaying my herb/veggie "garden". I love the San Diego weather as it's prime weather to successfully grow plants. I didn't have much of a green thumb in Seattle, but I've done pretty well here in sunny and warm San Diego!

My cherry tomatoes. I also have another tomato plant growing well, though since I bought it later, is still in its premature stage.

In front of my tomatoes and herbs is my hot pepper plant. No peppers yet, but it is flowering.

My "herbs" as Chuck likes to call them, emphasis on the quotations! From left to right, rosemary, basil and oregano. Unfortunately, we haven't been in the cooking mode and haven't made use these flavorful herbs. But we have been freezing the basil as it grows so frequently and hope to use it soon. I'm thinking pesto, Caprese salad...And down below is my peppermint plant which I'm hoping we'll be making refreshing mojitos soon!

No comments: