Monday, April 21, 2008

My First Bike Ride

On Sunday, I went on my first bike ride in Italy.  After witnessing motor vehicles driving really fast, I was utterly scared to share the roads with them.  I mean, there really aren't any bike lanes and most roads here are two-lane roads.  But I felt relatively safe as there are more bicyclists here than in Seattle so the cars feel comfortable sharing the road with bicyclists and nonchalant pedestrians.  They give you plenty of room as they pass or honk to let you know that they are approaching.  Now, the roundabouts....that's a different story.  Usually, you're supposed to yield before entering a roundabout and give the right-of-way; well, they don't usually yield here and if they do, well it's more like a "california" yield.  And giving you the right-of-way, well that 's hard when they just keeping going without yielding.  So, cars are coming to your left, you're supposed to be able to take a right and you do.  Well, that car is trying to veer to the right to exit as your trying to get to the next right after that....there's many exits to a roundabout, or it seems when you're trying to get through one on unfamiliar territory.  And what happens, I get honked at.  Yes, well...I don't care.  I just pedal as fast as I can to get out of that damned roundabout.   But considering, I do pretty well since that was the only honk I got out of a few roundabouts.  I'll just have to get used to it though as it's a matter-of-fact in European roads. 

Fortunately, Chuck found a route in the countryside with minimal traffic.  There are some rolling hills around, though most of the landscape is flat.  But I love a landscape with vineyards.  The grapes aren't yet on the vines, but they are a-blooming.

Me giving direction to Chuck to ride my way as I take an action shot.  It was a beautiful day out.  It was warm enough to wear bike shorts and short sleeves and I was still warm.  The weather isn't like this all the time as today was cooler and rained.  

Taking a much needed break at mile 12.5 miles.  Yummers....pistachios.  We were able to do a 25 mile loop and for my first ride, that was quite enough!  I was a little sore that night, but recovered the next day to do more exercising.   

Tonight, I made a really good Italian dish.  Well, I'm not sure how authentic it was as I got the recipe on-line; but it was sure tasty.  It's called 'pollo con i piselli' or 'chicken with peas'.  I mainly made this because we pretty much had all the ingredients at home.  We had chicken parts leftover (thigh/wing) from a chicken (breast) that I used for chicken marsala.  It turned out really good...yes, I am surprised as I'm not much for cooking.  But since I'm not working, I have been doing most of the cooking and to much of Chuck's delight!  Though he does still find time to make me a meal or two, especially breakfast...his specialty.  

But here is the recipe I used.   I think I'll start posting any recipes that I start trying, Italian or not, that way I'll be able to retrieve them as well as share them.

Chicken with Peas

Prep:  15 minutes
Cooking:  1 hour

Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 chicken thighs (any part of the chicken can be used, leave the skin on during cooking)
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 potato (sliced - about 3 mm thick, yes I know, you'll have to convert from metric!)
300 g (11 oz.) peas (frozen ok)
250 g (9 oz.) tomatoes (chopped)
2 bay leaves
15 ml (1 Tbsp.) tomato puree (concentrate in a tube, which is what I found in the store)
60 ml (2 fl 0z. = 4 Tbsp.) extra virgin olive oil
450 ml (3/4 pint) vegetable or chicken stock (hot)
salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning

1.  First and foremost, before you start cooking, be sure that the first thing you do is prepare the stock so that it's readily available when required.  The best thing to do is to have the stock just simmering, and  no more, on the cooker.

2.  Put the olive oil into a casserole (or wok or large pot, at least big enough to accommodate the chicken) and set to medium heat.  Add the onion and sweat off for a couple of minutes.

3.  Add the chicken.  Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes.  Then turn the chicken over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.  The aim is to have the chicken thighs golden in color.

4.  Before adding the peas (especially if they are frozen), turn the heat to high and after about a minute add all the peas.

5.  With a wooden spoon, set the peas evenly around the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes.

6.  Turn the heat to medium and then add the chopped tomatoes.  Move things around a bit so that the chopped tomatoes are evenly distributed and continue cooking for 10 minutes.

7.  Add all your stock.  The stock should be enough to nearly cover the chicken.

8.  Add the bay leaves.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

9.  Add the potato slices.  Also, add the tomato puree as a flavor enhancer.

10.  Take the lid and cover half of the pan.  Leave a small opening on one side.  Turn down the heat to low and let simmer for 40-50 minutes, turn chicken twice during this time period.  Simmering will cook the chicken to perfection and also help in reducing the sauce as you don't want it to be soupy.  It should thicken quite a bit.  

11.  Serve with a few slices of warm country bread or ideally, with italian polenta.  It does taste good served over gnochhi which is what I substituted.  Definitely have a good bottle of Italian wine, though it does taste pretty good with beer!

In the grocery stores, they have most of all vegetables in bulk.  You can't buy individual tomatoes or onions or potatoes.  I couldn't find dried bay leaves in the herb section, but did find it at the fresh herb section in the vegetable section, in bulk.  







No comments: