Monday, April 7, 2008

F1 Race

Yesterday I watched my first F1 race. I thought we were going to attend a race, not necessarily a F1 one, but actually see one in person. But, Chuck and I went to watch the F1 race (Air Gulf Grand Prix) in Bahrain at the Enzo Ferrari Auditorium. They were televising the race on the big screen at the movie theater in town. First, we satiated our appetite at the pizzeria Carisma. The pizza is definitely unlike that of the states...similar to Tutta Bella in Seattle, but much much better. You order your own pizza which comes in a plate (and you also cut it yourself). I’m not able yet to finish my own plate, yet yesterday I ate 2/3 of it. Their pizza list is extensive with more than fifty different types of pizza. I chose to try a pizza with spinach, prosciutto, and slices of hard parmesan. Afterwards, we had mascarpone for dessert, a triple-cream cheese made from creme fraiche. With full bellies, we made our way to the theater and with the avid Ferrari fans, we watched the race. After completing 57 laps around the track, Ferrari took first and second place, Massa and Raikonnen, respectively. I have to admit it was amazing to see the cars go so fast around the tracks, but I wouldn’t say I’m now an avid and die hard F1 follower. But since Chuck works for Ferrari and specifically on the race cars and we live in Maranello where Ferrari is its livelihood, I guess I’ll start watching a little bit more F1 racing and root for the team. Though nothing is really open on Sundays except for the bars (coffee shops that also sell liqueur), there are a lot of people roaming about the town. We saw a lot of people walking, a few sitting and socializing on benches, and a lot of people in their cars or motorcycles heading somewhere. After the race, Chuck and I stop by Maranello Cafe for a beer (Chuck) and a sambuca (me). A sambuca, I learned, is an Italian aniseed-flavored liqueur. Not really my cup of tea as it tends to taste to sweet for my palate. Overall, it was a nice Sunday afternoon.

No comments: