Wednesday, January 13, 2010

17 Weeks

We went to the doctor today and were able to listen to the heart beating in the 140s. At first, it was difficult to obtain a consistent heart rate as well as trying to get one because the little one wouldn't cooperate! S/he was moving around so much in the womb, but finally staid still for a minute to hear a strong heart beating. I am hoping the little one will be more cooperative next week so we can find out if it's a girl or boy!

I had blood drawn for the 2nd trimester screening for the risk of Down's Syndrome and Trisomy 18. The test results for the 1st trimester screening came back with a low risk for both chromosomal abnormalities. With both tests combined, it should give us a better picture, though not 100% accurate, of our risk factor.

So far, I'm having a normal pregnancy. Just the usual round ligament pains, especially in the left groin, and one-time bout of acid reflux. I was surprised to be of my usual work energy as I started working full-time last Monday. Fortunately, my back and SI joint haven't bothered me at work. But I haven't had to work with too many heavy care patients.

Unfortunately, I have been having a hard time adjusting to work. I haven't been enjoying work since I left Seattle. The major reason, I think, is I don't really enjoy working in skilled nursing facilities. I am hoping to find more enjoyment and hope working per diem at the hospital will be more to my liking. As of tonight, I have also applied for a per diem job in home health. I have considered applying for a job completely non-therapy related, but unfortunately, none would pay as well.

I shouldn't wish my time away as that means I'll be wishing this joyful time of being pregnant away, but I can't wait for the three month maternity leave!


How Far Along: 17 weeks
Total Weight Gain: 10 lbs. I surpassed my highest weight ever!
Maternity Clothes: 4 pair of pants and 5 shirts. 1 pair of my old jeans and 1/4 of my shirts still fit as well as some of my work scrubs. I've been mixing scrubs with maternity pants at work.
Sleep: I have had a difficult time getting my mind to sleep. It's always racing with thoughts about the baby, the future and work. My frequency of getting up at night has increased...I was up to the bathroom three times last night.
Best Moment of the Week: Getting to hear our baby's heart beat today!
Movement: Not yet :( The doctor said for first-time moms, it's around 20 weeks....boo hoo!
Food Craving: Goat cheese, Jello
Food Aversions: Still poultry....haven't tried it yet. I've been mostly eating beef, pork, seafood and nuts for protein as well as dairy. I'm going to try eating it soon since we have chicken in the freezer!
Morning Sickness: Nope...cross my fingers, it doesn't make a come-back.
Gender: We find out next Friday!
Labor Signs: Heck no! Just round ligament pains.
Belly Button: Still an innie :)
What I Miss: Beef jerky, tons of sugary sweets and caffeine, sushi and a gin martini with a twist.
What I'm Looking Forward To: Finding out the sex of our baby, some sort of job enjoyment.
Weekly Wisdom: It's okay to eat the occasional hot dog...just make sure it's cooked and buy the 'no nitrates' kind....I like the turkey dog at Trader's Joe. Gotta satiate your craving somehow!
Milestones: Hearing our baby's heart beat a healthy 140s bpm and getting through a week of work.

1 comment:

Hilleri said...

Glad to hear all is well. I look forward to hearing if you are having a boy or girl. I still think it is a boy.
We must go and have a good martini after the little bundle arrives. I still have not had one.
Miss you!
Lv H