Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunbathing and Sailing Weekend

Chuck's co-worker, Christian, recently took up sailing and invited us to go sailing at Comacchio, in the province of Ferrara and region of Emilia Romanga.  There are seven lidos, or beach resorts, in Comacchio and we stayed at Lido degli Estensi's marina where we rented a sailboat.  Not only were we sailing around on this boat, but were going to sleep in it as well.  Luckily two boats were available that evening and we got our own boat for the night or else it would of been very cramped sleeping quarters!   

We left early Saturday morning to beat the weekend traffic.  Even at 7:30 a.m. there was congestion on the roadways.  We arrived at the marina at 10 a.m. and after our morning cafe and pastry, we were out on the boat.  Earlier in the morning, there were strong winds and the marina wasn't allowing any sailboats out on the water.  Before we headed out on the boat, Christian with staff members went out on an inflatable boat to check out the weather condition.  Though a mild wind was a-blowing, it wasn't nearly as gusty, so we hopped on the boat and went out on the waters.  The wind and the seas didn't help ease the blazing sun's hotness.  Coupled with the choppy waters and a slight headache, I wasn't feeling too good and the only solution was being horizontal!  But I caught a few snoozes and made for a relaxing day.  

After a day's worth of sailing, we cleaned up and went to dinner.  Christian took us to this very popular and delicious seafood restaurant.  For an appetizer, we each had a big bowl of mini-clams with a lemon-garlic sauce.  Yummy!  Fresh fresh seafood as we're right by the sea.  For dinner, I ordered a seafood (shrimp, mini-clams, and pasta filled with sea bass) pasta with a garlic cream sauce and zucchini.  And for dessert, I had homemade mascarpone with strawberries.  I slept good that night!

Chuck's and Christian's fellow co-worker, Pinot, joined us on Sunday for another day of sailing.  The waters were calmer, but the weather was still hot hot hot!  I felt better today and was not feeling seasick as yesterday.  We spent a total of nine hours lounging on the sailboat and took a brake from the blazing sun rays by swimming.  Oh and it felt so good!  I'm not a very good swimmer or wader, so I held onto the boat.    By the day's end, I'd had enough sailing to last me at least through the new year!  Though it was fun, I'm still more of a mountain girl or a shore girl where I can see the water's floor and have feet planted on the ground.  Not to say that I wouldn't do it again because I probably will!







No comments: