Saturday, December 12, 2009

12 Weeks


Yesterday, we had our 2nd appointment with the ob-gyn. We had the option for another ultrasound and blood work to check for the risk of chromosomal abnormalities, primarily Down Syndrome. The ultrasound, measuring the nuchal translucency, was normal. We'll have to wait 7-10 days for the lab results as both combined assesses the risk for any chromosomal abnormalities.

The baby's heart rate was 154 bpm, within the normal range. On our next appointment we'll be able to hear the heat beating. I guess they don't do it on the ultrasound as it emits a lot of heat and be damaging to the baby.

I think we ultrasound the baby when it was wide awake as it was moving so much! We saw it kick its legs and punch its fist, doing somersaults in the uterus. It was really amazing to see how much they move so early on. However, I haven't been able to feel the baby move yet. I guess in another week or two, I'll be able to feel it's limbs kick my uterus around.

It's so reassuring that the baby is growing normally and doing well. As for me, I have gained about 5 pounds. It's amazing that I have gained weight since I feel like I haven't been eating more calories. Being nauseous and not having an appetite has put a damper on eating. The doctor said my symptoms are normal. It's been hard to eat. I've been forcing myself to eat and everything that I eat has no flavor....not fun at all. At least, I've been trying to eat foods with nutritional value. And hopefully this will past as I start the 2nd trimester.

2 comments:

Scrapping in Circles said...

Great ultrasound photos. Time to start the baby album!

I can't believe you're 12 weeks already. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

Valerie said...

I'm glad we were able to see the baby when it was awake. It was cool to see him/er move so much!