Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Work Update

I haven't been working for well over a month now as it's been slow at Career Staff. Thus, I began looking for other jobs. Because of the impending birth of our first child and my hesitancy to continue working full-time after the baby's birth, I have been considering taking multiple jobs on a per diem basis or combining a part-time position with a couple per diem positions. The goal is to be able to work full-time as long as I'm able until our child is born, take 2-3 months of leave and then return to work part-time. One reason I love being a physical therapist is that it does allow such flexibility.

I have been offered a per diem position at Palomar Pomerado Health where their need is primarily on the weekends. I would be doing both hospital and skilled nursing facility rehab, depending where there need is. I am excited to return to inpatient rehab as it has always been an interest to work in this setting and will be a nice change from nursing homes. It is considered a level 1 trauma center, so I should see some pretty interesting cases. Their skilled nursing facility seems to be more like the TCU than a regular SNF, which I'm excited about because I miss that type of setting. I have orientation on Monday and should start by the new year.

I have also been offered a per diem position at both La Mesa Convalescent Hospital and Jacob Health Care Center. I would work at either one, depending on the need, and will cover either weekdays or weekends. I just went to my orientation today and will turn in my acceptance letter tomorrow. I will also start working there after the new year.

I will continue to have a working relationship with Career Staff, but will be limited as I will get more hours from the other places. I already let them know that I have been looking for work elsewhere as they haven't been able to fulfill my work needs.

It is good to know that I will finally be working again. It's been quite a bore at home and the extra income will be very nice. I just hope that my body holds up, especially when I get rounder and handling patients becomes more troublesome. I have had SI joint problems just from long walks, so I can't imagine how I'll feel after being on my feet for 8 hours and manually handling patients. I'll just have to sit as frequent as I can while treating patients so I give myself a break!

1 comment:

Scrapping in Circles said...

That's great that you have such flexibility available to you. Hopefully work will also take your mind off the pregnancy. I know when I was working fulltime while pregnant with my first child the ten months just flew by.