Friday, February 12, 2010

21 Week MD Appointment

I had my doctor's appointment today. So far, everything is going smoothly. The baby's heart rate is a healthy 135 bpm. And boy is he active! He kept kicking while we were listening to his heart. I am also starting to feel him while I'm working, mostly when I'm not still, but I'm noticing it more and more.

My nosebleeds are a common symptom, especially in women who have issues with allergies, sinuses and any nasal problems. My doctor said if my nose doesn't clot, then I'd have to see an ENT to have it cauterized. I'm hoping that doesn't happen. She recommended I'd do a saline rinse to keep my nasal passages moist. I have done it in the past for my nasal problems, but have been lazy to do it. I guess I'll have to start doing it again.

I got the glucose drink today. I don't have to do the test until the 27th week, a week before my next doctor's appointment.

We also got information for childbirth classes as well as the hospital registration. I'll be giving birth at a hospital. Fortunately, we'll have a private room. I'm not sure who'll be in attendance. My sister won't be able to be there for the labor because of work, but I'm sure my parents will be here. It's their first grandchild....the first boy (after my dad, of course), for that matter. I'm not sure of Chuck's parents, whether they plan to be there for the birth or post-birth. I'm still debating whether I actually want anyone besides Chuck in the room during the labor. It would be nice to have someone take pictures of the event, so I might have my mom at least in the room with me. We'll see. I haven't thought about those details yet.

Anyways, I'm glad everything is progressing well and that the baby is healthy. We got the results of the 2nd trimester screening and our risk for baby boy Rust to have Trisomy 18 or Down's Syndrome is really low. And our AFP test was negative!

1 comment:

Scrapping in Circles said...

My advise, for what it's worth, is to figure out who you want in there ahead of time and make sure everyone knows. You don't want to deal with that during it all. My poor sister had her husband's entire family (including neices and nephews) in her labor room. The nurse finally had to ask them all to leave the room because they were really distracting her.