Sunday, June 27, 2010

New Addition to the Family


Meet Cooper. He was a gift for Father's Day, making his entrance into the world 4 minutes before the end of Father's Day. Cooper was born at 11:56 p.m. at a hefty 8 lbs. 2 oz. and 20" long. As with all newborns, he lost some weight by the time we were ready to be discharged at home and is maintaining a weight at 7 lbs. 11 oz. Hopefully, he'll be gaining all that weight back in no time.

I started having contractions Sunday morning. I knew on Saturday that he'd make his arrival sometime soon as he was hanging low on my belly. My contractions started at ten minutes apart, so we decided to go out for breakfast. My contractions started getting closer together in a consistent pattern at 5 minutes apart around 7 p.m. so we called the doctor and they told us to come to the hospital. I was only 3.5 cm dilated at the time of admission.

My water hadn't broken by then, so the doctor broke my water and that's when the contractions were getting much closer together and were really starting to hurt. I couldn't find a very comfortable position when the contractions started and felt like I was going to pass out and became nauseous.

The contractions were getting more painful and more difficult to manage with changing positions and breathing, so at 7-8 cm dilated, I decided on an epidural. By the time they got the epidural in and its effect started, I was already fully dilated and ready to start pushing. Because of my latex allergy, they needed to bring up a special pump to self-manage my epidural dosage; but I didn't need it since the first dose was enough to manage the pain. And Cooper was really ready to come out and wasn't going to wait for that pump to arrive for more pain relief. He'd come whether or not I'd have pain and I'd would just have to deal with it.

I'm glad not to have more than the first dosage anyways because it was harder to feel the contractions for pushing. Towards the last few pushes, the epidural was wearing off and could feel how hard I should push. In less than 10 pushes and he was out! The doctor let me reach down and help guide him out. I was really scared I was going to drop him, but the doctor was very reassuring that he wasn't going to let go!!! So after 15 hours of labor, Cooper finally arrived!

The doctor said he'd welcome me any time for another labor! He was pretty surprised that it was such a quick one. I was more surprised that I delivered an 8 lb. baby as the doctor predicted I'd have a 6-7 lb. baby due to my size.

Cooper is doing well. Initially, he got his days and nights all mixed up. But now, he's sleeping better throughout the night, only getting fussy if he's not properly swaddled. I have to wake him up for his feedings at night and sometimes during the day as he gets sleepy. Being sleepy could be a product of his bilirubin levels, not to mention he is a newborn. His bilirubin levels were up at the first doctor's visit. I noticed that his white of his eyes were a tint of yellow. At the hospital, his bilirubin was up by 1 at the time of discharge; but it did not warrant any treatment. We've been pushing breast milk as well as supplementing with formula just in case he isn't getting enough from the breast. We just got his bilirubin levels checked today and the doctor called with good news. It is going down and no treatment is necessary. Just keep doing what we are doing.

Anyways, we're doing well. Just trying to get adjusted to life with a newborn. Fortunately, we have a lot of help from both sets of parents and for that, we are blessed and really thankful. It's nice having someone take care of you while your taking care of a new human being. I just hope to survive once they all leave and when HB goes back to work! But it has definitely gotten easier as each day passes. I just wish I could nap during the day so I can be more rested!!!

I want to thank everyone for all their well wishes and blessings! I will try to keep everyone updated about Cooper, but I have a feeling I won't have as much time as I did pre-baby!!

1 comment:

Scrapping in Circles said...

He's so cute!!! I like his name too. I look forward to your updates.